Serenity in our World: Is it Possible?
Amidst all of the chaos and uncertainty in our world, how is it possible to live positively and generously both at work and at home?
Well, here are a few suggestions that are working for me:
1. Regardless of your faith and beliefs, recite the “Serenity Prayer” in the morning, at lunch and at dinner (or as needed). It goes like this:
“God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.”
2. Write a list of all those things you are thankful for (add to it every day if possible) and read it aloud to a loved one (I recommend doing this in the morning – make it part of your daily routine.)
3. Catch a co-worker, family member, friend, a store employee, or anybody you interact with, doing something “right” or “good” and acknowledge them for their actions.
4. Create no more than 5 affirmations and say them out loud 3 times a day (morning, lunch, bed time). Say each affirmation 3 times per recitation. Affirmations should be positive and in the present tense.
I start my affirmations off with the words, “I am a person who is………………..” I have them written on 3” X 5” index cards posted on my bathroom mirror, stuck to my refrigerator and folded in my wallet.
5. Give generously and unconditionally to others. When I serve others, I not only take the focus off my worries, but feel better having done something worthwhile for someone else.
6. Simply smile. Make someone else laugh (and laugh with them).
7. Exercise at least 3 – 4 times per week for at least 30 minutes. This could include a brisk walk outdoors or on a treadmill, or in a mall….I highly recommend exercising with someone else as you could also check off #3, #5, and/or #6 at the same time!
8. Forgive someone (including yourself) for doing something that may have “wronged”, hurt or harmed you in the past. Giving up this burden will lighten your load.