The best way to predict the future is to create it! Strategic Planning is a process that determines the future of the organization and what organizational resources will be needed to ensure that success. The process helps determine businesses opportunities and resources that are required to convert opportunity into success.
- Planning for the future of your organization:opportunities, threats, resource needs,
- Creating and clearly seeing the direction for your organization
- Aligning the leaders and the organization around the direction, resulting in higher levels of motivation and commitment
- Creating long-term sustainable success for your organization
- Vision and Values—Big picture and “rules for the road” that create the umbrella and the culture for the organization.
- Mission Statement—Accomplishments for the next planning period to draw closer to the Vision.
- Critical Goal Categories—3-4 factors that are individually necessary, and together sufficient, to virtually assure the achievement of the Mission
- Business Plan—Initiatives to pursue during the next 12-18 months (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time-bound (S.M.A.R.T.) goals under the Critical Goal Categories). As the plan is shared throughout the organization, individuals might develop their own goals to support these large initiatives or other ones to support Critical Goal Categories.
- The Market Plan—How to position the organization in new and existing markets
- The Sales Plan—Strategy on engaging prospective and current clients.
- Follow-Up Tools (Financial Projections)—Budget that FOLLOWS the plan rather than DRIVING the plan.
- A Key Measurement Dashboard will be created as a mechanism to easily track progress and guide decision-making.
This developmental coaching process typically includes:
- Multiple sessions to develop the plan
- Use of a workbook to guide team decisions and document the plan
- Follow up sessions to review implementation of the plan via goals, actions and the measures
- This work can be done individually with the leader of the organization or in a group setting with the leadership team.